FEDERAL COLLEGE OF AGRICULTURE, AKURE, ONDO STATE, NIGERIA.
Centre of Excellence in Agricultural Value Chain Training and Development.
BRIEF HISTORY: The Federal College of Agriculture, Akure, formerly known as the School of Agriculture, Akure at inception, was established as an agriculture training institution on 10th January, 1957, by the then Government of Nigeria. The College now offers both National Diploma (ND) and Higher National Diploma (HND) in key areas of Agriculture and related fields.
Graduate youth unemployment, low productivity at the farmers’ level and poverty at the rural communities’ level had placed enormous burden on achieving the mandate of the institution; thus, the College has kept the tradition of ensuring skill based Agricultural Technology Training, so that regular graduates, vocational students and visiting farmers can be self-reliant while practicing profitable and responsible farming. The College is enjoying a cordial relationship with a good number of national and international partners and collaborators in the area of sustainable development, livelihoods, poverty alleviation and food security.
A world class agricultural training institution, capable of making direct and sustainable impacts on gainful youth employment, food security and improved livelihood for farmers.
1. Integrate available manpower and resources into the mainstream of available opportunities in the Agricultural sector.
2. Revolutionalise vocational training programmes and short courses.
3. Incorporate value chain concepts and Information and Communications Technology (ICT) into the curriculum of all college trainings.
4. Improve community relations by scaling up the adopted schools and villages programme.
5. Improve integration of all agricultural activities in the college for resource – use efficiency.
6. Improve the implementation of entrepreneurship and value chain studies education component of the curriculum for regular students and other trainees.
NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN AGRICULTURAL AND BIO-ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY
NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN ANIMAL HEALTH AND PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY
NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN HORTICULTURAL TECHNOLOGY
NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN AGRICULTURAL TECHNOLOGY
NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN COMPUTER SCIENCE
NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN FISHERIES TECHNOLOGY
NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN FORESTRY TECHNOLOGY
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN CROP PRODUCTION
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN AGRICULTURAL EXTENSION AND MANAGEMENT
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN ANIMAL PRODUCTION TECHNOLOGY
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN HORTICULTURAL TECHNOLOGY
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN AGRICULTURE AND BIO-ENVIRONMENTAL ENGINEERING TECHNOLOGY
HIGHER NATIONAL DIPLOMA IN PASTURE AND RANGE MANAGEMENT
From September 2008 till date, the College successfully trained and empowered over 10,500 various categories of entrepreneurs (youths, women, retirees etc) on sustainable cassava production system, beekeeping, produce technology, agricultural technology, agricultural mechanization, post-harvest technology, statistics and planning, small livestock production, aquaculture, cassava processing and value addition, fisheries, poultry, pig production, farm record keeping, and horticulture
The College, established in January 1957 parade a wealth of training resources needed for practical oriented training in Agriculture.
- Large dairy cattle barn with milking palour
- 3 large dams capable of producing water for drinking and irrigation
- Wood and metal workshop with functional lathe machine
- Fully mechanized palm oil mill capable of supporting 500 ha plantation
- 4 large earthen fish ponds
- 4 tonne/hour feed mill
- Flash dryer for high quality cassava flour processing
- ICT Centre with computers and internet facilities
- One weather station with facilities for measuring precipitation, wind and solar radiation
- Plantations of cocoa, rubber, cashew, citrus, mango, pineapple and oil palm
- 40 Ha rotational arable farm
- 33 cattle grazing paddocks
- Protected forests and wood species
- Potentials for Agro-tourism and Wildlife conservation
The College is presently carrying out intervention activities in three (3) adopted communities and four (4) secondary schools in Akure and environs. The communities are Owode, Eleyowo and Ibulesoro while the secondary schools are Aquinas College, Eji-Oba High School,